Location Miami FL USA
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 33
[0.51% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Flap Rings For Condor2?
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 1:40:35 PM
Hi, all. I' have Condor2 installed now. Are the flap rings available yet for the default gliders? If so, where?
Topic: Only one survivor - USNS 2003
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 3:37:02 PM
kunk wrote:
Hello,
Finally, I liked the task because it forced me to learn something new. Challenging and satisfying.

What did you learn from this?
Topic: The Intermediate Rut
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:26:25 AM
We had our first webinar with Eric Carden. I think about 6 pilots attended and it was quite insightful. Eric is a very good instructor and the webinars are well-presented. I think it's going to help me get out of this Intermediate Rut eventually.

Thanks again Dave, for showing us this link.
Topic: Only one survivor - USNS 2003
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:18:30 AM
Cristiano Moreira wrote:

Yesterday i already started in the survive mode

How did you know to START in survive mode?
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 1:54:56 AM
Drombach wrote:
My I suggest a soaring course that gives one on one instruction on Condor . He has a series of practical excersies and lectures that are really good.
Here is the link. https://sites.google.com/site/thermalxc/

Dave

Eric Carden (of the above link) is starting a class this Thursday evening (March 15 at 6:00pm CDT) for me. Send him a request via his website if you want to join as well, or if you can't get hold of him for some reason send me a private message, and I'll try to get you in.

I imagine he would want more people in the class.

Ben
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:15:00 AM
Drombach wrote:
My I suggest a soaring course that gives one on one instruction on Condor . He has a series of practical excersies and lectures that are really good.
Here is the link. https://sites.google.com/site/thermalxc/

Dave

Thanks, Dave. This is the essence of my post. Note this quote from his course:

"Once you think you've passed an exercise, you'll e-mail to your course coach the relevant Condor flight track and "replay" files, and he'll "grade" them for you. Grading is simple, you either passed or you didn't. You aren't REQUIRED to have a coach grade your work, but this is perhaps the most valuable part of the course. A coach will often quickly see something noteworthy in your flying and can help you squash the seeds of bad habits before they become too ingrained, even if the thing he sees isn't technically a pass requirement for the exercise. "
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:40:32 AM
Thanks, Cristiano. No, I don't mind. Feel free to share, as you like.

I can't stay up with you leaders in the thermals, even when I turn on the thermal helpers and stay as close to the core as possible...so I must be missing something simple or subtle.

I believe that there are certain skills which cannot be taught in a reasonable time without one-on-one tutoring. Imagine that we taught people to fly airplanes or gliders in RL by asking them to simply read books, watch videos and ask questions on a forum. A few would survive, as happened in the early days of flying, but most of them would (and did) crash. Wouldn't you agree?

I believe that the same applies to glider racing, though I will freely admit that I'm no expert in gliders, much less glider racing.
I was, however, an excellent CFI-I/MEI (and eventually chief instructor) with a great track record and taught very successfully in everything from Citabrias to heavy twins, so I was an expert at teaching all kinds of people to fly airplanes in RL.

Ben Ethridge

Ps: I don't speak Portuguese, but I see there is a translator on Facebook, so I joined the group. Thank you for the invite. :-)
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2018 3:18:53 AM
Hi, all.

I used to downhill race on skis when I was younger, but for many years before I started racing I was stuck in what skiers call "The Intermediate Rut". There is even a great book on the subject called "Breakthrough On Skis: How to get out of the Intermediate Rut", which I dutifully read several times.

However, even after reading the book, I could still not ski like an expert. So I started taking expensive ski lessons. Even after that, I still could not ski like an expert. I finally figured out that it was because (a) there are some skills which can't be learned by reading books or by trial and error in any reasonable time and (b) the ski instructors who were teaching me were neither racers themselves nor great instructors. So I began looking for a great RACING instructor (as opposed to just a skiing instructor).

Finally, one day, I chanced upon one. He was actually Bode Miller's (Olympic Gold skier) instructor at one point, and he was VERY good and not much more expensive than the other ski instructors I'd had over the years.

After about 2 hours of intense one-on-one instruction with him, the light bulb suddenly went on and I saw and felt what I had been doing wrong all along...and I mean for YEARS. In a few more hours of his instruction I became a pretty decent expert skier (his opinion not just mine). I started racing and instructing with new skill and new confidence. So how and why would this apply to glider racing?

I raced a few times with you all online realtime, and I could stay in the middle of the pack as you can see by my stats a couple of months ago...but I soon realized that I was stuck in a similar "intermediate rut", so instead of racing online realtime, I started following your ghosts (thank you for the ghost uploads) and asking forum questions to try to get out of the rut. I've been doing that now for several weeks, and I still feel like there's something big I'm missing here, something which as with skiing, will probably seem small and simple in hindsight.

The Bottom Line:

As with the skiing, I feel like I need a one-on-one glider racing instructor to fly with me, show me what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it. (I've read that in RL, this is how glider racers often initially get their training.)

I imagine there are others racing in Condor who also feel like they are stuck in this "intermediate rut".

So, to you top expert racers: If you want the rest of us to come up even close to your level in any reasonable timeframe, some of us intermediates need a bit of one-on-one realtime instruction from you please.

Topic: Advice from one of the best pilots
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:45:12 AM
Thanks for posting. I watched several more of the youtube videos on the Chile Grand Prix. Fascinating! What bravery these pilots have!

By the way, Santiago, every time you upload a flight track I download it and follow your "ghost". I think this is helping me more than racing online at this stage of my learning. Thanks for sharing those flight tracks.

Ben
Topic: Tuesday 12/19
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:16:10 AM
I had the same problem when I test-flew the flight plan a few times just after 8:00pm, so I didn't join at 9:00pm. I noticed that the tow rope was above the canopy at the start, which seemed odd, but then I've never been towed in that particular glider before.

Main Forum Rss Feed : RSS