Location Miami FL USA
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 41
[0.64% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Downloading of FlightPlan fails
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2019 12:12:38 PM
Agree. Not to pry but what virus/security software do you have installed? Reason I ask is that if you have Microsoft Windows security (which is now rated pretty highly compared to what it used to be rated) turned on, then it might be the cause, since Microsoft (rightly or wrongly - ethically speaking) may be locking down other non-Microsoft browsers MORE than they lock down their own, in the ever-continuing "browser wars".

My other browsers (Chrome, Firefox) worked fine for the downloads also, until Microsoft forced me to start using Windows 10. By "forced" I mean that my earlier Windows version is no longer supported as of January 1, 2020.

Ben
Topic: Downloading of FlightPlan fails
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2019 11:57:26 PM
I always get a network fail error when I use the Chrome (Google) browser for the FlightPlan download. When I simply change to the Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer) browser it works fine. Have you tried that?
Topic: On Day 2436 race, why were pilots allowed to start the race after the starting gate closed?
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:07:31 AM
This was a semi-regatta race start, in New South Wales, on Oct 24, 2019. Somehow pilots were allowed to start the race several minutes AFTER the starting gate closed. Why was this allowed?

"Daniel has made a few tasks with short windows (~5 minutes), which he calls "semi-regatta" tasks. You have to start shortly after the race-in expires, but your clock doesn't start running until you officially cross the line. In a normal regatta task, everyone's clock starts running after the race-in expires, no matter where there are. It really pays to practice being just behind the start line, at VNE, at the top of the start cyclinder, exactly when the race-in expires. A good rule of thumb is to be 3km out, 1000 feet / 300 meters above, going 100kts / 185 kph, exactly 1 minute before the start." - Mark Rebuck January 20, 2015

If you can just start the race whenever you wish, what's the point of having a semi-regatta start, or (any kind of regatta start), or even a start gate close time for that matter?

Am I just missing some technicality of Condor2 racing, that is obvious to everyone else? If so, please clue me in.

Ben
Topic: Sports class? Max starting altitude?
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 9:16:39 AM
In any case, I was able to see the starting altitude in the PDA, once I joined the race, and it is large enough to see easily at that point, so this is not a showstopper issue.
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:32:12 AM
Thanks, Daniel.

Regarding the maximum starting altitude: I'm not sure what you are calling the "start cylinder". I'm familiar with the "half-cylinders". There is one for the start and one for the finish. Is that what you mean for the "start cylinder"?

If so, the problem is that the properties are inconsistent, i.e. on some flight plans they show up and on others they aren't there. In all cases, I'm having to zoom in to the max before the properties even show up (i.e. not grayed out).

For the MNS_10_2019-22-10 flight (Slovenia), the properties NEVER show up for me (i.e. property icon is grayed out), even at max zoom level. There is however, a tiny "0-56" in the very center, between the start half-cylinder and the finish half-cylinder. The problem with the "0-56" is that it's so small as to be almost unreadable. I'm assuming that the "56" is 5600 feet, which is approximately what Jim Smiley's Flight Analysis in Condor Club shows for that flight. Condor Club flight analyses show all the data for the turnpoints, including min and max altitudes, so the data must be in Condor2 memory/files somewhere, in order to ultimately make it into the Condor Club flight analyses.

As I recall, you used to just write the altitude in the task description, which is why I'm thinking that I never had to think about this before? That was a few years ago, back in the Condor 1 days, so maybe my memory is fuzzy on that point.

Ben
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:35:36 AM
Googling "glider sports class", from wikipedia I find this:

Sports Class, a handicapped class similar in concept to the Club Class but allowing a wider range of gliders, usually both flapped and unflapped and with spans not limited to 15 metres. This class is often used in competitions where the number of entries is too small to warrant subdivision of the participants into separate classes.
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:08:32 PM
Hi all.

After a few years of not racing (but flying my PW-5 in real life), I tried to race tonight in USNS with my new gaming pc, Condor 2 and Oculus Rift. A couple of showstopper questions (stopped me anyway):

1. The Flight Plan for this evening shows "Sports" class, but I don't see a "Sports" class in my Condor 2. Do I have to buy some add-on for this?

2. I didn't see a maximum start altitude, but as I recall, the races typically have one. How do I know what it is, i.e. where it is shown in the Flight Plan?

Ben
Topic: Flap Rings For Condor2?
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 1:40:35 PM
Hi, all. I' have Condor2 installed now. Are the flap rings available yet for the default gliders? If so, where?
Topic: Only one survivor - USNS 2003
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2018 3:37:02 PM
kunk wrote:
Hello,
Finally, I liked the task because it forced me to learn something new. Challenging and satisfying.

What did you learn from this?
Topic: The Intermediate Rut
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:26:25 AM
We had our first webinar with Eric Carden. I think about 6 pilots attended and it was quite insightful. Eric is a very good instructor and the webinars are well-presented. I think it's going to help me get out of this Intermediate Rut eventually.

Thanks again Dave, for showing us this link.

Main Forum Rss Feed : RSS