GliderRacing.com
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Sports class? Max starting altitude? Options
benethridge
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:08:32 PM

Groups: Member

Hi all.

After a few years of not racing (but flying my PW-5 in real life), I tried to race tonight in USNS with my new gaming pc, Condor 2 and Oculus Rift. A couple of showstopper questions (stopped me anyway):

1. The Flight Plan for this evening shows "Sports" class, but I don't see a "Sports" class in my Condor 2. Do I have to buy some add-on for this?

2. I didn't see a maximum start altitude, but as I recall, the races typically have one. How do I know what it is, i.e. where it is shown in the Flight Plan?

Ben
benethridge
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:35:36 AM

Googling "glider sports class", from wikipedia I find this:

Sports Class, a handicapped class similar in concept to the Club Class but allowing a wider range of gliders, usually both flapped and unflapped and with spans not limited to 15 metres. This class is often used in competitions where the number of entries is too small to warrant subdivision of the participants into separate classes.
Soarer151
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:03:37 AM

Hey Ben,

Sports Class in Condor means you can choose any glider and the race is handicapped. The difference compared to real life Sports Class is that you can fly with water ballast in Condor in this class.

There is almost always a maximum start height. If you go the flightplan, right click on the start cylinder, click on properties, it notes the altitude.

In the game, you can also zoom in on the PDA (clicking Y) and the start cylinder will often have a number. If you are using imperial units, take the number and add two zeros

Ie: 56--> 5600ft, 49 --> 4900ft.

One thing worth noting is that the altitude is coded in meters, so those numbers are rounded a little bit. As such, be careful if you are going for the fluttering start method... it might not go Green on you exactly at 5600ft for instance.

All the best,
Daniel

benethridge
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 1:32:12 AM

Thanks, Daniel.

Regarding the maximum starting altitude: I'm not sure what you are calling the "start cylinder". I'm familiar with the "half-cylinders". There is one for the start and one for the finish. Is that what you mean for the "start cylinder"?

If so, the problem is that the properties are inconsistent, i.e. on some flight plans they show up and on others they aren't there. In all cases, I'm having to zoom in to the max before the properties even show up (i.e. not grayed out).

For the MNS_10_2019-22-10 flight (Slovenia), the properties NEVER show up for me (i.e. property icon is grayed out), even at max zoom level. There is however, a tiny "0-56" in the very center, between the start half-cylinder and the finish half-cylinder. The problem with the "0-56" is that it's so small as to be almost unreadable. I'm assuming that the "56" is 5600 feet, which is approximately what Jim Smiley's Flight Analysis in Condor Club shows for that flight. Condor Club flight analyses show all the data for the turnpoints, including min and max altitudes, so the data must be in Condor2 memory/files somewhere, in order to ultimately make it into the Condor Club flight analyses.

As I recall, you used to just write the altitude in the task description, which is why I'm thinking that I never had to think about this before? That was a few years ago, back in the Condor 1 days, so maybe my memory is fuzzy on that point.

Ben
benethridge
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2019 9:16:39 AM

In any case, I was able to see the starting altitude in the PDA, once I joined the race, and it is large enough to see easily at that point, so this is not a showstopper issue.